Tribute assembly held at Veterans Memorial Stadium

Cody Bassett, Reporter

In early November, a tribute to America’s veterans was held at Veterans Memorial Stadium at Clear Creek High School. The stands on the home side were filled with spectators and  the students of Creek, eager to view the event. Clear Creek High School, the Clear Creek JROTC instructors, and members of the United States Army carefully coordinated the assembly.

Principal Jamey Majewski was one of the biggest supporters.

“I think it’s important to instill patriotism and a sense of civics on our campus,” Mr. Majewksi said. “It’s a great way for Clear Creek High School to honor those who have served.”

The ceremony opened with Creek choir members singing the National Anthem, which was then followed by the Pledge of Allegiance, and the Texas Pledge. Then, members of the Clear Creek High JROTC presented the colors.

Companies Alpha, Bravo, and Charlie formed up on the field opposite from the spectators. After formations and respect was paid to the country and military, a brief speech was given about the history and importance of the United States Army.

Creek’s fine arts programs participated in the ceremony as well. The Creek chamber choir sang a military medley comprised of the official songs of each branch of the military: the Navy, the Army, the Coast Guard, the Air Force, and the Marines. The Clear Creek wind ensemble and symphonic band performed Apollo 11, America the Beautiful, and the Star Spangled Banner.

The ceremony was concluded with the playing of the most well known song in the Army, Taps, by wind ensemble trumpets, Dylan Rydl and Riley Healy.

“It was an honor to play in front of people who served my country and to put a smile on their face,” Rydl said. “I will never forget that moment.”

The ceremony was a major event for the community of League City.

“It was a real honor to be able to go play for the veterans of the League City area and see their smile and hear their stories.” Healy said. “It’s an experience I’ll never forget.”

For the grand finale, the Golden Knights, the Army’s parachute team, parachuted from an airplane, drifting through the air, landing safely in the center of the field.

“It was very awesome to see the parachuters in action and to see how much everyone cared,” Kaylee Miller, student, said. “The whole crowd was amazed.”

After Taps and final respects and gratitude were paid, the Clear Creek High JROTC was dismissed.

Clear Creek High School continues to look forward to the next Veterans Day assembly. Principal Majewski plans to have one every year to honor the brave men and women who have served our country.

“We absolutely want to do it next year,” said Mr. Majewski. “We are going to try to make it an annual tradition.”