School spirit goes wild: Creek Homecoming 2019

Seniors+show+off+their+Texas-sized+mums+for+their+last+Homecoming.+

Morgan Severson

Seniors show off their Texas-sized mums for their last Homecoming.

Aivry Zamora, Entertainment Editor

Stores are filling with mum decorations, band members and Cavaliers prepare to blow away the stands with their half-time performances, while the football players are practicing harder every day to achieve victory at the biggest game of the season. Homecoming at Creek is a tradition that has always brought lasting memories for every student and staff member participating in the festivities, with the carnival being one of the most beloved activities of the year. The PAL’s program, along with the numerous clubs, organizations and electives have yet to break their streak of producing an exciting event filled with food, games and spirit. Each organization works hard to prepare a booth open to all students in hopes of exciting the student body and increasing school spirit before the big game on Friday, October 18.

Overflowing with food, every Homecoming is a feast of baked sweets, homemade treats and fast food favorites, making it impossible to only visit one booth. With Raising Cane’s provided by the men’s soccer team, Rudy’s BBQ by Creek baseball, Chick-fil-a by the PTSA and Domino’s Pizza offered by the senior class officers, the fast food choices are endless. Staple drive-through meals, traditional carnival snacks such as the corn dogs offered by the boys and girl’s golf teams, decadent funnel cake by the band or fresh popcorn by the Cavaliers add to the options. Additionally, Kool-Aid pickles by the girl’s basketball team, nachos offered by the men’s basketball booster club, tamales by the Spanish club or fries served by the FFA booster club, create a substantial menu for all students to enjoy. The refreshments do not end with savory carnival treats, but sweets such as the cake balls offered by Rho Kappa, macarons by the French Honor Society, homemade baked goods by the Theatre department and Kona Ice offered by the girl’s soccer team add sugary deserts to the selection. Despite a wide array of snacks being provided, the highlight of the carnival is always the deep-fried Oreos booth run by the choir booster club. As students wait in line for the delicious fried cookies, the members of the choir perform acapella on a mini stage, producing a show that never fails to be the hit of the carnival.

The carnival provides the most entertaining attractions of the day as the festivities and games spread around the courtyard, are what make homecoming at Creek one-of-a-kind. With unique booths where students can take a selfie with a goat, smash through a car windshield, play with puppies from the League City Animal Shelter or even catapult a whipped cream pie into the face of their teachers, every booth brings amusement to all who participate. The student volunteers who represent their organizations are what create the atmosphere for the carnival and add enthusiasm to the event, spreading the spirit throughout the student body.

“Volunteering at the HOSA booth is my favorite part of homecoming because I love to support the organizations I am passionate about,” Michelle Rabosa, junior, said.

The mum contest run by the cheer team is one of the main features of the carnival, as every year the mums and garters created by students get progressively more extravagant, surrounding the theme of the game.

“Mums are always my favorite part of Homecoming because of how big and crazy they can get,” Hana Jones, senior, said.

This year, playing against Lake for the big game, students are encouraged to dress in safari attire to “hunt down the falcons” and secure another win for Creek.

While seniors plan for their last Homecoming as a student, freshman are surrounded by the anticipation of experiencing Homecoming for the first time. Traditions such as making mums, spirit days and attending the most anticipated football game of the season, create valuable memories that follow alumni long after graduation. Despite leaving Creek with a diploma, graduates consistently return during Homecoming season to cheer on the football team and reminisce on their time as students. Though every year is different, the character of homecoming remains unchanging as it is not only a major of highlight every school year, but one of the essential parts of every high school experience.