For Parents: Update regarding solar eclipse on Monday, August 21

Wynette Jameson, Publications Advisor

UPDATE: AUG. 16

The Great American Solar Eclipse  

Monday, August 21st is a Solar Eclipse. This is when the New Moon passes between the Sun and Earth, blocking out the Sun’s rays and casting a shadow on parts of the Earth.   This is the first total solar eclipse visible across the entire USA since 1918 and the next time it will be completely visible in the USA will be 375 years from now, in April 2392.   The upcoming solar eclipse will begin at 11:46 a.m. and continue until 2:45 p.m.  In our area, we can expect a partial solar eclipse; with the total solar eclipse in states north of Texas.

Originally, the district ordered 47,000 glasses. After we further scrutinized the certification documentation from the supplier, the vendor abruptly canceled the entire order. Fortunately, we were able to secure 22,000 from the supplier that NASA JSC uses for its glasses. The ISO 12312-2 certified glasses are kindly sponsored by JSC Federal Credit Union and the Clear Creek Education Foundation. The district has secured volunteers to help sort and get the bundles to each school just in time for the event.   

Each school will receive ISO 12312-2 certified solar eclipse glasses for students and teachers to safely view the eclipse. Schools will receive glasses for half of the student and staff population. We recommend putting these glasses in a bin at the door leading out to the school and having a plan to rotate classes in and out during the 11:46 a.m. – 2:45 p.m. window so that all students and teachers who want to view the eclipse can do so. Unfortunately, non-campus staff will not receive glasses as originally planned due to the limited supply. However, glasses are still for sale at area retailers for a minimal amount.

Thank you,  

Greg Smith, Ph.D.

Important Information Regarding Solar Eclipse on Monday, August 21

Dear CCISD Parents and Guardians,

We are sharing this information with parents electronically since this historic event occurs on the first day of school. Your child’s school will receive ISO 12312-2 certified solar eclipse glasses for students to safely view the eclipse. The Clear Creek Independent School District has purchased 22,000 ISO 12312-2 certified solar eclipse glasses from the same supplier that provides the glasses to NASA JSC’s Starport. The solar eclipse viewing glasses are kindly sponsored by JSC Federal Credit Union and the Clear Creek Education Foundation. These glasses will be distributed in batches to each of Clear Creek ISD’s 44 schools.

There have been several media stories about counterfeit glasses or glasses that do not meet industry standards. The glasses we have purchased from NASA’s JSC supplier meet the safe viewing criteria.

Why do we need to wear special glasses during the eclipse?

Looking at the Sun, without special glasses, during a total or partial eclipse is dangerous for your eyes and may cause blindness.  This is due to the intensity of the Sun’s ultraviolet radiation (UV rays) burning the retinas of your eyes.  The Sun’s UV rays are much stronger during an eclipse, which causes permanent eye damage.

Each campus will be giving students who wish to view the eclipse an opportunity to do so. The district will provide ISO 12312-2 certified solar eclipse glasses.

Prior to viewing the solar eclipse, teachers will go over the following instructions with students.

1. Stand still and cover your eyes with your eclipse glasses before looking up at the bright sun.
  2. Use your hands to firmly secure the sides of the glasses to your head as seen in this photo.
  3. After looking at the sun, turn away and remove your glasses– do not remove it while looking at the sun.
  4. Do not look at the uneclipsed or partially eclipsed sun through an unfiltered camera, telescope, binoculars, or other optical device.
  5. Similarly, do not look at the sun through a camera, telescope, binoculars, or any other optical device while using your eclipse glasses. The concentrated solar rays will damage the filter and enter your eye(s), causing serious injury.
  6. If you normally wear eyeglasses, keep them on. Put your eclipse glasses on over them, or hold your handheld viewer in front of them.
  7. Do not use your cell phone to take photographs as the rays can damage your phone. ​​​

This is an instructional activity but if parents/guardians DO NOT WANT their child to participate in viewing the solar eclipse with the district-provided solar eclipse glasses, please fill out this form no later than 5 p.m. on Thursday, August 17, 2017.  No further action is needed if you want your child to participate. 

CLICK HERE TO FILL OUT THE  OPT OUT FORM  

**only complete if do not want your child(ren) to view the eclipse at school**

From CCISD Office of Communications