Shooter at Umqua Community College kills eleven

Tiffany Wade, New Editor

There was a shooting rampage at Umpqua Community College in Roseburg, Oregon on October 1. The victims who were killed out of 13,600 students at the school were Lucero Alcaraz, Treven Taylor Anspach, Rebecka Ann Carnes, Quinn Glen Cooper, Kim Saltmarsh Dietz, Lucas Eibel, Jason Dale Johnson, Lawrence Levine, and Sarena Dawn Moore. The shooter, 26-year-old man named Chris Harper-Mercer, later ended up committing suicide.

A timeline released by investigators shows that the first 911 call about the shooting came at 10:38 a.m. that day. Six minutes later, Douglas County Sheriff John Hanlin said, two Roseburg police officers and a state trooper arrived on the scene. At 10:46 a.m., the officers exchanged gunfire with Harper-Mercer. Two minutes later, there was a report of “suspect down,” according to the timeline. Hanlin said the state medical examiner determined the gunman’s death was a suicide. State police are investigating the shootout.

The father of the shooter, Ian Mercer said he had no idea that his son would kill anyone and was completely devastated by the news.

“I had no idea he had any guns. I have no idea that he had any guns whatsoever,” Mercer said. “And I’m a great believer you don’t buy guns, don’t buy guns, you don’t buy guns.”

He also said that his son lived in Oregon with his mother and he hadn’t seen his son since they moved two years ago. They had a good relationship and did things fathers and sons would do.

One thing he would not claim is whether or not his son had any mental or emotional issues.

However, the gunman handed a writing to a survivor and told them to give it to the police. The writing portrayed the shooter as a student of the past mass shootings. The gunman identified with the perpetrators of those rampages and expressed frustration the other mass killers did not take on police. He also vowed he would kill police along with others.

Bonnie Schaan said at a news conference Saturday that her daughter, Cheyeanne Fitzgerald, witnessed the shooter handing an envelope containing the writing to one person in the room and told that student he was the lucky one and to stand in the corner. Fitzgerald was asked her religion and when she didn’t answer, she was shot in the back, her mother said. The bullet clipped one lung and lodged in a kidney, which doctors removed.

Investigators found 14 firearms connected to the shooter and six were found at the college. Police proceeded to search his apartment and found two pistols, four rifles, and a shotgun. It was discovered later that another handgun was found at the shooter’s home. A flak jacket was also found next to a rifle at the school with five magazines of ammunition as well as additional ammunition at the residence.

The shooter was said to have also exchanged gunfire before he died that day.

He committed suicide on October 3, two days after going on the shooting rampage.