Creek’s Little Libraries

Ameena Khan, Editor

The purpose of the little libraries is to promote literacy and a love of reading by creating small, accessible spaces where people can take a book or leave a book for others to enjoy. They are usually community-run and often found in public spaces, serving as a free book exchange for people of all ages and backgrounds. The aim is to build a sense of community, encourage neighborly interaction, and foster a love of reading. However, the little libraries at Clear Creek High School are often overlooked, but the National English Honor Society (NEHS) is working on a project to revamp them and make them more noticeable.

According to the U.S. Department of Education, 130 million adults have low literacy rates. This number is largely due to the lack of accessibility to books and other means of education. The main purpose of little libraries is to make books easily accessible to everyone, regardless of their financial situation or location. In many communities, access to books and libraries can be limited, but little libraries provide an opportunity for people to access books in a convenient and accessible way. It is imperative for Creek students to have access to books because it promotes a sense of community, gives students a passion for learning, and free access to books.

“The reason why we’re doing this is because they often go unnoticed, so we need to give them life again,” junior Sophia Langlois said, a NEHS member partaking in the little library project. “We’re going to repaint them, make announcements to make it more noticeable, and let the student body know that they have easy access to books and an easy way to donate books.”

Not only do little libraries increase literacy amongst high school students, but they help students find a passion outside of technology and social media. Although social media has its benefits in terms of creating a community and opening pathways of collaboration, it has a lot of addictive aspects to it that are often harmful to a learning environment. However, “Little Libraries” promotes a collaborative space through its accessible exchanging method of sharing books, while also making use of books that are unread. The Little Libraries also contribute to making the learning environment and community more productive, as reading and literacy rates improve.

“The benefits of reading are similar to the benefits of exercise; reading is lifting weights for the brain. Ultimately, reading improves learning in ALL subjects because students can retain and understand not just more information, but more complex information,” Mitchell Hoffman, ELA teacher said.

Because the National English Honor Society is revamping the little libraries, it makes them more noticeable to students, so students can partake in the easy book exchange and developing a new passion for learning and reading.

“I think it’s important to give students an opportunity to discover the joy of reading. If someone is not naturally interested in reading, they are unlikely to try it for themselves. Allotted reading time gives them a dedicated time to do this, while also allowing those who already enjoy reading a chance to do so,” Hoffman said.

The little libraries at CCHS will prove to serve an important purpose in promoting literacy, building a sense of community, and fostering a love of reading once they are revamped. They provide access to books and encourage students to read more, bringing people together and creating a sense of community. Little libraries are a simple but powerful tool for promoting literacy and building strong, connected communities.