Student present project at annual Livestock Show

Jasmine Garza, Editor-in-Chief

For the past 33 years, Clear Creek Independent School District has hosted the CCISD Livestock Show. The show allows students to showcase their livestock and non-livestock projects they have been preparing for since the beginning of the school year.

The Livestock Show is open to all CCISD students enrolled in an Agriculture class at their respective high schools. The students, along with their advisors, prepare their projects with many hours of time, dedication and responsibility.

This year 277 entries were commissioned from CCISD students hoping to gain a spot in the auction, which took place on the final day bringing in approximately $240,000.

“Proceeds from the sale of CCISD Livestock Show student projects goes directly to the respective student.  These funds benefit the student’s continued commitment to education, agricultural studies and leadership development,” Dana Morgan, Director of Career and Technical Education, said.

Livestock projects cataloged in auction include categories such as swine, heifers, steers and goats. Non-Livestock projects include agriculture mechanics, food science and visual arts.

On the first day of the Livestock Show and Auction the presentations of the Agriculture Mechanics projects were shown. With over 260 hours spent on his Houston Texan themed Agriculture Mechanics project, Creek Senior and Vice President of the Clear Creek FFA Blake Speed, won the Grand Champion Award for the third year in a row.

“I started the second week of school and stopped a few days before the show. We did the math and figured around 260 hours working. There were a lot of days where I’d show up at the shop at nine in the morning and leave around midnight. It was a trying but overall worthwhile experience,” Speed said.

On the third day Speed was able to auction off his Houston Texan themed Ag. Mechanics project for $14,000, agreeing to donate $1,000 to The Boys’ and Girls’ Harbor after feeling inspired from last year.

“During the Pasadena Livestock Show in September, I noticed that two slots in the auction had been reserved. Curious, I asked and found out that the Boys and Girls Harbor had sponsored two exhibitors to raise and show steers. I thought it was awesome, and knew I had to find some way to support a program that teaches children this kind of responsibility. I told the auctioneer I would donate all that was raised beyond $14,000. It didn’t make more than that, but I’m still going to donate $1,000.” Speed Said.

Auction night was full of intense crowds including buyers hoping to walk out with the best investment. Breaking 2014’s record for most money raised on a project was the 2015 Grand Champion Steer presented by sophomore Kara Belt of Clear Lake High School. This included a record sale of $29,000 after $10,000 was donated to top last year’s sale of the Grand Champion Steer.

The Livestock Show prepares students for more than just the agricultural classes at school.  The students also learn the skills needed for a successful future, whether they are planning to pursue a career in agriculture or not.

“FFA makes a positive difference in the lives of students by developing their potential for premier leadership, personal growth and career success through agricultural education,” Morgan said.