Tina Fey and Amy Poehler host the Golden Globes

Emily Berthiaume, Teen Intrest Editor

The 2015 Golden Globes honored some of the season’s biggest movies, television shows, actors and actresses in a fun ceremony hosted for the third and final time by Saturday Night Live alums Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.

Boyhood, a unique drama shot over 12 years, was by far the biggest winner of the night. It eventually earned Best Motion Picture Drama, with Richard Linklater winning Best Director and Patricia Arquette winning Best Supporting Actress in a drama for her role of a single mother.

Best Musical or Comedy Picture went to The Grand Budapest Hotel, a quirky comedy from director Wes Anderson. Eddie Redmayne won Best Actor in a Drama for his portrayal of Stephen Hawking in biopic The Theory of Everything, and Best Actress in a Drama went to Julianne Moore for her depiction of a women dealing with early-onset Alzheimer’s Still Alice. Best Actor and Actress in a Musical or Comedy went to Michael Keaton in Birdman and Amy Adams as real-life Margaret Keane in Tim Burton’s Big Eyes. Best Supporting Actor went to J.K. Simmons for Whiplash, a drama about a drum student and instructor, and Best Screenplay went to Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, Nicolas Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris and Armando Bo for Birdman. Many of the movies that were nominated and won Golden Globes are also nominated for Academy Awards, and the pictures that won may be an accurate prediction for who will take home Oscars.

In the television category, streaming services like Netflix and Amazon made a strong showing, as well as new shows. Best Actor in a Television Drama went to Kevin Spacey for House of Cards, a Netflix political drama. Best Musical or Comedy series went to Transparent, an Amazon comedy-drama about a transgender adult, Jeffery Tambor, who also won best actor in a Musical or Comedy for his performance. Showtime’s The Affair also won big, going home with best actress in a drama series for Ruth Wilson and Best Drama Series. Best Actress went to Gina Rodriguez for her role as an accidentally artificially inseminated woman in CW’s Jane the Virgin. The four major networks were left noticeably empty-handed.

During the ceremony, nothing seemed to be off-limits for jokes for hosts Fey and Poehler. The Interview, a film about Kim Jon Un’s attempted assassination starring Seth Rogen and James Franco that had a noticeably controversial release, was favorite material.

“North Korea referred to ‘The Interview’ as ‘absolutely intolerable’ and ‘a wanton act of terror,’” Fey joked. “Even more amazing — not the worst review the movie got.”

Boyhood was also frequently poked fun at. Fey and Poehler joked that Patricia Arquette proves there are jobs for women over 40 – as long as they are cast before they turn 40. They also joked that Wes Anderson, the director of The Grand Budapest Hotel, arrived to the show “on a bike made out of antique tuba parts”.

George Clooney received the honorary Cecil B. DeMille award, and he thanked his wife, Amal, in his acceptance speech.

“It’s a humbling thing when you find someone to love,” Clooney said. “Whatever alchemy brought us together, I couldn’t be prouder to be your husband.”

He and his wife were both spotted wearing Je Suis Charlie buttons, and he noted the demonstration in Paris that drew millions of diverse protesters.

“They marched in support of the idea we will not walk in fear,” Clooney said.