Award winning news team covering the BEST high school in Texas.

Creek HiLife

Creek HiLife

Creek HiLife

What to Know About the “Beauty and the Beast” Auditions

In one of the schools most involved events, the “Beauty and the Beast” play, students in all departments come together for the process of putting together a production.

All auditions are open, even for students with no experience working with or being in musicals. Auditioning is an opportunity gain insight on what the department is looks for in a cast and gives people an idea on where improvement may be needed. According to Kayla Maddox, even if students don’t get casted, it can be a great learning experience for anyone interested in musical theater.

“Going through the musical theater auditions helped me become a better performer,” Maddox said. “It helped me learn more about the musical theatre franchise. Last year I tried out for ‘Big Fish’. I was a little scared and didn’t know what to expect, but when I did the audition, it felt great and exciting.”

The musical allows for programs and electives to come together and connect. The art department works on props and set design, and both orchestra and band rehearse together in the pit.  A lot of the cast is involved in the choir and dance department, in order to gain experience for the musical numbers and choreography. Getting prepared can take longer than expected, so with these programs working together it cuts down some of that time.

“It’s so fun to be a part of something bigger than yourself and to see the finished product when we put it together with all the actors and singers it just fit,” Senior Leila Embry said. “I would just turn around, even when I wasn’t playing just to watch because it was just so amazing.”

The process of auditions and casting can take as long as a few weeks, depending on the play or how many people audition.  The process consists of signing up to receive the audition packet, which includes cuts of the songs for the auditions. In the singing portion of the audition students are expected to memorize and sing the song cut of one of the songs in musical based on their corresponding role.

“The auditions this year felt more spread out compared to Big Fish,” Maddox said.

The call back list typically comes out not long after auditions take place. This list show who the directors want to see more of, so they gain idea of what part fits the person. In dance, auditions, students have one to two hours to learn a new dance which the practice groups perform for the directors. “The audition felt really organized and comfortable,” Maddox said. “The dance was taught really well.”

The theater department holds many opportunities for students to meeting new people, and  finding a new hobby, which can lead to finding a love for theater and musicals. Being a part of something that supports students and the community can be rewarding.

“It’s so rewarding getting to see the audience the way they react,” Sophomore Madalyn Arevalo said. “Getting to see your hard work pay off.”